On Feb 21, 2009, at 10:54 PM, Michael G Schwern wrote:

There is Perl 5 style backwards compatibility where you never, ever break anything for years and years and years and even for code that you're not sure
even exists.  That's what chromatic is on about.

And then there's backwards compatibility where you try not to clearly break
everyone's well-written code!

I think that second one has value.

Agreed, but that's what a deprecation cycle is for.

That said, just a couple days ago I sent along a proposal to the TAP list to change the way the TAP version works to allow incompatible changes to the protocol. Then we can work on sub-plans without having to bend over backwards
to compatibility.

Right!

PS  The signature choice was entirely random.  Eerie.

--
The past has a vote, but not a veto.
   -- Mordecai M. Kaplan

Amen to that!