On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Chris Wagner<wagn...@plebeian.com> wrote:
> At 03:43 PM 8/19/2009 -0500, Fei Shi wrote:
>>Only when I run the code below I have a little problem:
>>*cat ids_overlap_* | sort -u > "a file name"*
>>
>>I have 3 files named as *ids_overlap_*(21Us/coding/ram)*. The error message
>>is:
>>*The system cannot find the file specified.
>>cat.exe: write error : invalid argument*
>

> Why are there star characters there?  If u are trying to run that line from
> within a perl script it won't work.
>
> system 'cat ids_overlap_* | sort -u > "a file name"';
> or
> @return = `cat ids_overlap_* | sort -u > "a file name"`;

I have not seen the previous posts but if you are trying to run this on windows
it won't as you are trying to invoke a unix-is shell command. Maybe
under Cygwin.

I don't know what are you trying to achieve but I guess the next line
is reading the file
"a file name" so you will have the list of ids_overlap_*  files in an array.

It would be easier to use the glob() function of perl:

@return = glob "ids_overlap_*";

and if you want them sorted then this will do it:

@return = sort glob "ids_overlap_*";

Gabor
http://szabgab.com/blog.html