On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 09:07:31AM -0500, Christopher J. Madsen wrote:

[ Very Good examples elided ]

> With the explicit counter,
>
>     foreach $item $index (@array) { ... }
>
> $index could (and should) be a read-only variable (like $i is in
> "foreach $i (1,2,3,4)").  This would make sure that it really was the
> index it claimed to be.

Excellent summary of why an explicit index is a Good Thing as compared
to the programmer doing it himself.  I think the syntax would need to
be different though, how do you use implicit $_ and an index?  (Don't
Do That is not an answer because people will want it)  Here are some
ideas:

        # Gosh, let's overuse : like python! ;-)
        for $item:$index (@array) { ... }
        for :$index (@array) { ... }            # $_ and counter

        for (@array : index($index)) { ... }

        for (@array) $index { ... }