>What I am thinking of is a file that, if present and sane (i.e. read-only
>root), would be involked by the interpreter just before the users script was
>parsed. Looking at your example of things in the config file, well some of
>those are the things I would like to be able to get at in the new version
>with this feature.

Well, those are all things that are beyond the scope of what can be
done with a little eval.  And some are very difficult: they're
interdependent, and sometimes already written out to disk somewhere
or other.

I do not see an RFC about the matter, but people certainly have requested
to be able to have a "position independent" perl installation, one which
they can just copy and move to random places and things still work.  I do
not know the status of that want.

--tom