  >> many systems allow for a global/local startup file for various
  >> reasons. i see a potential use of this in perl but i don't see the
  >> specific use yet. build it they will use it.

  TC> But Perl is not an interactive shell!  Can you imagine if a C
  TC> compiler allowed arbitrary amounts of text to be pre-included

and what about the proposals for an interactive perl? maybe they should
support this.

  TC> I entreat you to explain to me *anything* that you'd want to tweak
  TC> with this that you already can't do right now.  And unless one
  TC> manages to come up with a huge class of problem areas for which it
  TC> really is the best solution to have these random evals applied to
  TC> unrelated, unforeseen programs, I'm sure that there must be a better
  TC> way.  It's certainly not enough to say "maybe there is, but I don't
  TC> know such a class of problem areas."

ask the RFC owner. i am just saying i like the idea. you don't like the
idea. that is fine.

  TC> Far, far better to arrange a wrapper or hook on the specific programs,
  TC> not all of them in existence.   This kind of thing has really hosed
  TC> people, many many times.  Admins spend too much time with this kind
  TC> of breakage.

it can be controlled also with a command line option in the
shebang. then it gets per script control. also in a way similar to
schwern's you can have a separate executable (or short script which
execs perl and tells it to load the files).

  TC> Here's something else to consider: I recall Larry having
  TC> *specifically* discarded this sort of notion long ago, lost now in
  TC> the mists of antiquity.  Seems like a very good justification will
  TC> be needed.

well, he can veto this as well. i just wanted to have pro voices heard.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting