> But yes, I see no way to put perl solely under the GPL.  That's just about
> the worst thing we could do, aside from making perl non-"free."

This is now *way way* off topic for perl6-internals.  A relevant issue for
perl6-internals had been whether we could or should rely on an LPGL
library (gmp) to handle automatic conversion of SVs to BigInts or
BigFloats if necessary.  The current working hypothesis is that we don't
*need* to rely on gmp.  We can probably avoid significant technical
portability and maintenance issues by making it possible to build perl6
without gmp, while also making it possible to link with gmp if a user
wants the improved performance.  (This is similar to what we do with
AnyDBM_File in perl5 -- it's easy to add in Berkeley DB, but not required.
Perl5 comes with sdbm.)

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Dept. of Physics