On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 12:28:34PM -0600, Dan Brian wrote:
> I was very glad to see Larry address RFC 28 in the way he did; this will
> be quoted often in the future, both concerning being "needlessly fearful"
> of Perl adopting a different language paradigm, as well as the "essence"
> of Perl being context sensitivity ("Perl culture, Perl readability"
> threaders take note).

As author of that RFC I can categorically state that Larry was not its target
audience. :)

> I think there is much discussion to be had concerning RFC 73, regarding
> Larry's suggestion that core functions return objects that are struct
> tm's.

If it can be done *transparently*, as Larry suggests, it keeps everyone happy.
Or upsets everyone equally, at least. To make a particularly tasteless
analogy, object-oriented programming is like smoking[1]; I have no problems
with making it legal, but I do object to making it compulsory.

[1] I was going to be more tasteless, but thought better of it.
--
Feed me on TOASTIES! There's no HALL for PHILOSOPHERS ON FRIDAYS.
    - Henry Braun is Oxford Zippy