On Tue, 06 Jun 2017 19:50:32 -0700, rnhainswo...@gmail.com wrote:
> I would like to work on perl6-debug. But where to start?
>
> I am daunted by the prospect.
>
> Some questions - hopefully easy to answer.
>
> 1) In earlier updates there was a perl6-debug executable. Was this
> just
> a link to perl6-debug-m?

Most likely.

> 2) perl6-debug worked before, and then stopped working. You said
> 'bit-rotted'. I would think that it would help to discover at what
> point
> the debug version stopped working and then to look at the commits to
> see
> what changed. That would narrow down what needs modifying.
>
> Do you think this is a good strategy?

Maybe. It broke around slang rework (around 2017.02-2017.03 releases).

On our dev IRC channel ( https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#perl6-dev )
we have a bisectable bot (
https://github.com/perl6/whateverable/wiki/Bisectable )
that can take a chunk of code and tell you when its output changed.

perl6-debug-m currently dies with this error. Hunting what's causing it is a
good start:

```
Non ast passed to WANTED: NQPMu
===SORRY!===
Cannot find method 'named' on object of type NQPMu
```

> More difficult questions, but you may know answer.
>
> 3) Why is it not possible to arrange for a break inside a module?

No idea. Never used perl6-debug-m

> I realise it is because modules are 'pre-compiled', but is there a way
> either (1) to prevent pre-compilation

Yes, use `no precompilation` pragma.