On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Simon Cozens wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 12:00:24PM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> > Okay, I'm whipping together the "fancy math" section of the interpreter
> > assembly language. I've got:
> >
> > sin, cos, tan               : Plain ones
> > asin, acos, atan    : arc-whatevers
> > shinh, cosh, tanh   : Hyperbolic whatevers
> > log2, log10, log    : Base 2, base 10, and explicit base logarithms
> > pow                 : Raise x to the y power
> >
> > Can anyone think of things I've forgotten? It's been a while since I've
> > done numeric work.
>
> FWIW, it's just dawned on me that if we want all of these things to be
> overloadable by PMCs, they need to have vtable entries. The PMC vtable
> is going to be considerably bigger than we anticipated.

Does that mean that opcodes like these are just going to call functions
pointed to by vtable entries (that is, not have a 'default
implementation')?

It makes more sense to me to just have these functions act on numbers
(like float and bigfloat), and auto-numify like Perl 5 does.  Forgive me
if I am missing something (I usually am :).

- D

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>