> > I'm I beating this point to death, or do I have to write
> > the RPC:
> >
> > "Keep the {} and [] notation for hashes and arrays"
> >
> > or
> >
> > "Save our array!"
>
> Let's boil this RFC down to one short phrase:
>
> If {} goes away in Perl6, then everything you've heard
> about Perl6 being "not really all that different from
> Perl5" is either a lie or a damned lie. People keep
> saying "it's just Perl5, but instead of syntax X, you
> now use syntax Y". Well, as both X and Y lists grow
> longer....

I guess Luke is overruled, eh?  Don't feel too bad
Luke... you can't win them all.

> I know this is harsh, but really folks, you're pulling
> Perl apart looking at a half-dozen good features and
> building a new language around them. I don't fault you
> for this (it's a great way to come up with a new
> language), but I'm beginning to get the feeling that
> going from Perl5 to Perl6 is going to be almost the
> same level of effort as going from Pascal to ANSI C!

Larry... you aren't going to make Perl totally different,
just remove the crud... right?

Don't forget, Damian is supposed to make the Energises
really complex looking... we want to know the advanced
features, the ones that make Perl different - and
better.

> Also, just wondering:
>
>       $_[_][EMAIL PROTECTED] _=_0_-_
>
> does that work the way I expect it to?

Err.. DWIM will have to work hard on that one!  I'd
expect one of Perl's parse errors... donno which
one like.

Jonathan Paton