> Dan wrote:
> > 1) Dig through the perl source and find out all the opcodes.
> > (pp.c and friends) Document the opcodes and what they do.
> >
> > 2) The same as #1, only for Python
> > . . .
> >
> > Once we get these, the next task is to write an opcode library
> > for them...

I want to understand what the ultimate purpose of this is.

I assume (but I'm open to correction) that it is *not* to simulate
the vm of other language environments, so as to execute faithfully
bytecode produced in those environments.  (That is, taking object
code from a python compiler (e.g.) and executing it in our own vm.)

Perhaps the idea is to be able to run "foreign" source code by
compiling to the parrot vm, appropriately extended with opcodes
to make life easier for the compiler implementor.

Or perhaps the point is to make sure we don't miss out on some cool
operations that other languages have.  :-)

--
John Douglas Porter