In a message dated Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Brent Dax writes:
> With explicit, you just get the result of Inf ** 2 (which presumably is
> still Inf) in $bar.  Perhaps neither is what you want, but at least it
> doesn't take forever to run.

Yes.  This is my fear of hyperoperation being the default for normal
aggregates.  Loops--and large, multiply-nested, potentially-infinite
ones--can spring out of code that doesn't look loopy at all.  Erm... you
know what I mean. :-)

Karl, do you have any objection to marking aggregates for which
hyperoperation is to be the default?  Then you could say:

my <mumble> @foo, @bar;  # Are the parens required in p6?
 # or
my (@foo, @bar) is <mumble>; # Can you distribute properties?
<...>
@foo += @bar;

where <mumble> is matrix, hyper, or something along those lines (choosing
great names is Larry, Damian and Allison's jobs, not mine :-)

If we simply made such hyperoperated aggregates builtins rather than
requiring user-defined classes, this would offer a compromise, would it
not?

Trey