--- Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 8:30 AM -0400 7/16/02, Karl Glazebrook wrote:
> >I still feel this adds yet another layer of inconsistency and
> >confusion. I can't look at a piece of code and know what it does,
> >without referring up N lines to the top of the scripts.
> >
> >How is the infinite loop problem any different from other Halting
> problems?
>
> It's not, the issue's really with what's better for the common case,
> which probably won't be PDL stuff. (Unfortunately--I think it's a
> nifty realm to work in)

Instead of requiring a pragma to use, why not leave it on by default,
but required a pragma or a command line option to suppress the warnings
when "potentially exponential time required" operations take place?

That is, the math guys say

#! /usr/local/bin/perl -w -math

and the one-off guys say

no matherrors;

and the CGI wonks say

"Holy cow, that wasn't what I meant to do! Thanks, perl-parser!"

=Austin