--

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:08:06
 Brent Dax wrote:
>Erik Steven Harrison:
># All that said, can anyone come up with a case to
># confuse <op> with <$File_Handle>?
>
>If you assume infinite lookahead, it's fine, but if not...
>
>       <something> ...
>
>Is that a call to
>
>       sub something() returns(IO::Handle)
>
>or a hypered
>
>       sub operator:something($operand:)

Granted. So, I'm not as bright as I'd like to be. But
it's not unreasonable to ask for the parens to
disambiguate, and I think that I could live with a
required <something()> as opposed to girly French
angles I can't type, especially since (at least for
me) the vector ops are the common case.

I'll be up front and honest: I don't know enough about parsers. But don't we know what
operators were using before we parse, and use that knowledge to disambiguate? Sure we
can define new operators, but aren't we already assuming infinite lookahead if we can
define new operators and use them without a foreward declaration?

-Erik