On 12 Nov 2002 at 16:40, Marius Nita wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question about the Parrot FAQ. I hope it's not too
> off-topic for this list. The FAQ mentions that "it would be nice to
> write the Perl to Bytecode compiler in Perl" and that there is no
> bootstrap problem.
>
> Does this mean that the perl6 compiler is written in perl5 and it
> will be rewritten in perl6 when a large enough subset of perl6 is
> implemented? I figure Perl5 will be obsolete at some point in the
> future...

perl6, or parrot, or something else which runs on parrot.
With parrot you have a lot of possibilities on which languages to use
(once it's complete).

> I noticed that the current incomplete perl6 implementation is written
> in perl5 using Parse::RecDescent, but I figured it's just a test
> implementation until the "real" compiler is written in C...

perl5 won't be used anywhere when all is ready.

There will be small 'miniparrot' (currently in development), which
can be build with just C compiler [was anything else required?].

Miniparrot can then be used to build everything else, including full
parrot, perl6, other parrot-supported languaged, etc..

This 2nd step might be e.g. Bytecode-compiled perl6-program which is
simple enough to work with miniparrot.

(Here might be some mistakes, but this is as I understand this, based
on active lurking here)
--
Markus Laire 'malaire' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>