At 20:47 on 11/13/2002 GMT, Nicholas Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 03:06:03PM -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:
>
> > The goal is for Parrot to require a C compiler and a platform shell
> > or Make tool (either one) and that's it. We will ship with bytecode
> > files that have the bits needed for the build precompiled, so if the
> > perl compiler's partially written in perl, we'll ship a perl6.pbc in
> > the distribution.
>
> I believe that it can be done with just a C compiler. (no make tool or shell
> needed). If we use an equipped machine to unroll the makefile into the correc
> steps (in the correct order), and turn that into C code that runs each in
> turn, then we can bootstrap enough to run bytecode. (and a bytecode make tool

We've actually already reached that point.

We currently generate a shell script with the build commands in it.  We
could generate a .c file just as easily.

However, it's still necessary to tell it how to compile something somehow.

I think we can figure out the details when the time comes though- the
current shell script (which assume gcc/unix) is enough for now.  We can
add other .bat/.com files for other platforms, just to get things
bootstrapped.

Once we get to the point that miniparrot is actually part of the parrot
build process, then we can revisit exactly how to build it.

My inclination is to provide a configure script for platforms where that
works, as well as native shell/bat/whatever is guaranteed to be available
on that platform (including .or .c, if appropriate) for
more unusual platform.

--Josh