On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 03:06:03PM -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:

> The goal is for Parrot to require a C compiler and a platform shell
> or Make tool (either one) and that's it. We will ship with bytecode
> files that have the bits needed for the build precompiled, so if the
> perl compiler's partially written in perl, we'll ship a perl6.pbc in
> the distribution.

I believe that it can be done with just a C compiler. (no make tool or shell
needed). If we use an equipped machine to unroll the makefile into the correct
steps (in the correct order), and turn that into C code that runs each in
turn, then we can bootstrap enough to run bytecode. (and a bytecode make tool)

Please archive this message and hold it against me when the time comes, and
you're looking for someone to prove it by making it work.

Nicholas Clark
--
vapourware better than perl?    http://www.perl.org/advocacy/spoofathon/