On 11/15/02 Gopal V wrote:
> It is possible ... JIT generated code looks just like loaded code to
> gcc ... Typically gdb should only need access to a symfile to correctly
> allow debugging ... So an .o  file of the JIT'd code should be correctly
> generated with all the trimmings.
>
> $ gdb parrot
> (gdb) run -debug=dwarf2 --break __main__ Foo.pbc
> (gdb) call Parrot_debug_make_syms()
> (gdb) add-symbol-file Foo.o
> Reading symbols from Foo.o
> (gdb) frame
> #0 __main__ at Foo.py:5 (HINT: where's the python compiler :-)
>
> The trick here is to use `gas' or the gnu assembler to generate the
> debugging info from the assembly dump you provide ... For example a
> function would be dumped as...

You can find the complete examples of how the jit debugging features
work in the mono tarball (mono/doc directory): the above was a
partial cut&paste with s/mono/parrot/ :-)

We have also an implementation of the symbol file writer in mono/jit/debug*
that may be helpful to look at.

lupus

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     debian/rules
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                             Monkeys do it better