On 11/16/02 Gopal V wrote:
> > the above was a partial cut&paste with s/mono/parrot/ :-)
>
> But don't act like you invented it .... Kaffe had one before you thought
> about mono JIT ...

The idea probably predates kaffe, too. Anyway, I didn't say I had the
idea, but the implementation. Quoting what you dropped from my mail, I
said we had the complete examples and:

> We have also an implementation of the symbol file writer in
> mono/jit/debug* that may be helpful to look at.

If you think you have novel ideas in the JIT (or in the intepreter) space,
you're probably just deluding yourself.

> http://www.kaffe.org/doc/kaffe/FAQ.xdebugging
>
> I just saved some typing by cut-pasting what I had in my box ....
> And don't bother to thank me for introducing the "debug jit" so that you
> could show up with "Mono has this and more" banner....

I pointed at the mono implementation simply because it is more complete
and flexible than the kaffe one. kaffe only does the stabs format
(and it outputs only the info for the code). Mono has the code that
allows you to access locals and arguments in a stack frame and inspect
the fields of the runtime-created types. Mono can also output symbol
files in both stabs and dwarf format: the dwarf format doesn't have the
limitation of stabs regarding line number info, for example, and it
makes it possible to output debug info also for optimized code.
BTW: the mono implementation is not mine, I just started it and then
Martin Baulig filled the holes and implemented the dwarf stuff.

If you can find a better implementation than mono's, I'd like to know
about it, too:-) Until then, it's just a waste of people's time to
provide limited information or to point to a limited implementation of
the idea ;-)

lupus

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     debian/rules
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                             Monkeys do it better