At 4:58 AM +0530 1/4/03, Gopal V wrote:
If memory serves me right, Dan Sugalski wrote:
 language-level "we're object-oriented dammit!" objects, not the
 lower-level stuff we're currently working with) should/will behave.
yay ! ... finally !

 reference-style objects and non-reference values.
How large can a non-reference value be ? ... (in the .NET opcodes the
'struct' seems to be unlimited in size ...) But well, I'd settle for
a non-reference of at least large integers (64bit)...
It can be as big as you like. Hang a buffer off the data pointer and stick anything and everything you might want into it. Do we need to build with 64 bit integers to make sure you have space? :)

And how will non-reference values dispatch methods ? ... would they be
"boxed" into a reference for each method call, so that the method call
can modify them ? ...or are all non-reference values immutable ?....
Neither. Non-reference values are just plain PMCs. Reference values are PMCs that point to other PMCs.

to put it down clearly ...

MyValueType a;
a.Modify();

would a be able to modify itself ? (unfortunately C# allows that)
Absolutely. It makes things generally faster and easier for perl, and doesn't affect python or ruby. Yeah, I know, immutable values make a number of static compilation things better with sufficient engineering resources, but we're not particularly static, and our resources are occasionally spotty. :)
--
Dan

Dan Sugalski even samurai
[EMAIL PROTECTED] have teddy bears and even
teddy bears get drunk