At 12:10 AM -0800 1/23/03, Brent Dax wrote:
Dan Sugalski:
# Since it looks like it's time to extend the packfile format and the
# in-memory bytecode layout, this would be the time to start discussing
# metadata. What sorts of metadata do people think are useful to have
# in either the packfile (on disk) or in the bytecode (in memory).

I do think that, whatever "native" (i.e. understood by Parrot) metadata
we support, we *must* allow for extensibility, both for future native
metadata and for third-party tools.
"Must" is an awfully strong word, there. We don't really "must" do anything, though I do realize the feature is useful, hence my question.

 Moreover, this must not be
implemented with a special type of metadata block, or by using
sequentially-increasing numbers.  (The first means that any metadata we
decide to add in the future will be slower than the metadata we add now;
the second has problems with several third-party tools picking the same
number.)
I'm afraid extensible metadata is going to live in its own chunk unless someone can come up with a way to embed it without penalty. (And I'm generally considering using separate chunks for the metadata the engine does understand)
--
Dan

Dan Sugalski even samurai
[EMAIL PROTECTED] have teddy bears and even
teddy bears get drunk