On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 02:11:39PM +0000, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:41:14AM +0000, Thomas Whateley wrote:
> > I've been thinking about how to run un-trusted code,
> > without having to audit every line, or use some sort of sandbox,
> [snip]
> > block to audit and be certain of what a module/program could
> > do to my system.
>
> As author of http://dev.perl.org/rfc/353.pod, I thought somewhat about
> these issues, and eventually hit a rather hard brick wall.
>
> What happens when you link in some module that's written natively?
> Basically, my conclusion was that this was, unfortunately, still
> necessary, but once you do it, then all bets about restriction and
> security are off. If you can get around the necessity of that (and
> only allow things which are parrot-native, then you can control it).

Hrm, maybe I just don't know what's going on, but I'm not sure why
this is a problem. Couldn't "call out to native functions" or perhaps
"call out to native functions in this library" or even "call out to
*this* native function" be a capability? AFAIC (which means "for the
applications I'm interested in"), any of the three are still Good
Enough.

I guess what I'm saying is, sure, you can't stop a native function
(which was called from parrot code) from doing whatever it wants, but
you can still prevent the parrot code from using that function in the
first place (right?).

---------+     http://twistedmatrix.com/users/radix.twistd/