    > I don't see why Parrot couldn't do much of this.  It can
    > certainly audit allocations made through its own
    > memory-allocation system, and with only a little help from the
    > system it should be able to audit its processor usage as well
    > (at least within Parrot bytecode).  I'm not sure about disk
    > space usage, but that's a pretty OS-level thing anyway.

Shouldn't this be doable by starting a separate 'restricted
interpreter' within the process that is given a limit on the number of
bytecodes it can run and amount of memory it can allocate? As far as I
can see, this would achieve the primary goals of restriction
(throttling CPU/memory use). Filesystem usage can be controlled
through a restricted file API, so that shouldn't be a very low-level
concern.

A system that might be worth examining is Darius Bacon's "idel", a
small VM designed for running untrusted code.

http://www.accesscom.com/~darius/software/idel/