On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:04:43AM -0500, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 02:11:39PM +0000, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> > What happens when you link in some module that's written natively?
> > Basically, my conclusion was that this was, unfortunately, still
> Hrm, maybe I just don't know what's going on, but I'm not sure why
> this is a problem. Couldn't "call out to native functions" or perhaps
> "call out to native functions in this library" or even "call out to
> *this* native function" be a capability? AFAIC (which means "for the
> applications I'm interested in"), any of the three are still Good
> Enough.

Oh, yes, it is still a reasonable capability, but at the point that you
allow that capability, you can forget any of the rest of them. (this is
of course, ignoring any possible buffer overruns/format string/double-free
 or other types of vulnerability where you can change the executed code).

> I guess what I'm saying is, sure, you can't stop a native function
> (which was called from parrot code) from doing whatever it wants, but
> you can still prevent the parrot code from using that function in the
> first place (right?).

Yes, but looking at the current Perl core, a large number of the
day-to-day useful modules are written native (read: in C), so you end
up losing there. That's not to say that future ones will have to be,
but... In reality, however, the problem as I see it is that this is a
capability which, once acquired overrides all others (wheras the others
can be mutually orthogonal).

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>           http://colondot.net/