On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

> Andy Dougherty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
>
> >> Attached is a minimum patch to build imcc as the parrot executable
>
> >                languages/imcc/*.o
>
> > languages/imcc/*.o doesn't match anything
>
> Brain dead make?

No.  Here's the same result with GNU make:

    gmake: *** No rule to make target `languages/imcc/*.o', needed by
    `languages/imcc/imcc'.  Stop.

The problem is that with a clean build tree, there are no *.o files
down in languages/imcc/ at the point when that target is reached.
Hence make doesn't have anything to expand *.o as, and quite reasonably
complains.  If, however, there is even a single .o file in that
directory, then the wildcard is expanded as you'd expect and the make
proceeds.

> Anyway, this line could for sure be deleted.

That's probably sufficient for now.  Alternatively, you could simply
always force the descent into languages/imcc.  I can imagine scenarios
where the *.o files were updated but the *.c files weren't (e.g.
re-compiling imcc/*.c with different options) and the root Makefile
would miss that dependency, but such scenarios are certainly outside
the normal run of things.

> > Apart from that, it built fine and passed all tests with Sun's cc and
> > perl5.00503 on Solaris 8.
>
> Fine. Thanks for your feedback.

You're welcome.  And thanks for moving us past the perl assembler!

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]