On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Benjamin Goldberg wrote:

> Andy Dougherty wrote:

> >     gmake: *** No rule to make target `languages/imcc/*.o', needed by
> >     `languages/imcc/imcc'.  Stop.

> Hmm... would it be possible/reasonable to do:
>    IMCCSRCS = languages/imcc/*.c
>    IMCCOBJS = $(IMCCSRCS:.c=.o)
> and then use $(IMCCOBJS) in place of languages/imcc/*.o ?

Alas, no.

First, that won't work.  That variable-substitution syntax is a
non-portable extension.

Second, it's unnecessarily redundant.  The full, correct, dependencies for
imcc should already be recorded in languages/imcc/Makefile.  There is no
point in reproducing them in the root Makefile as well.

I suspect it's best to have an IMCC_PROG target that simply
unconditionally does a cd to languages/imcc and calls $(MAKE). However, I
fully recognize that Leo's intent was "a minimum patch to build imcc as
the parrot executable", and hence the current state (where the *.o line is
simply deleted) is probably fine for now.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]