On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, K Stol wrote:

> > From: "Leon Brocard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > I don't like things becoming dead-ends. How much work do you think
> > it'd be to extend it some more and update it to latest Lua?
> 2: I misdesigned the code generator; that is, at the point where I
> couldn't start over, it was too late, the code generator was too big
> already (it was unmaintainable). But because I had a time schedule,
> I kept it this way (the product itself wasn't the most important
> thing, I was writing an undergraduate report for the last semester
> of my education (for the record: the project served me well, I
> finished this education))

> > Would it be worth checking this into parrot CVS?
>
> Only if the thing would be working, otherwise it would only be a
> source of confusion and frustration.  Now I'm just thinking very
> hard to decide if I've got enough spare time to rewrite the code
> generator....

Hmm. I've only messed around with Lua for a few hours
though, and it was several months ago, but the Lua
language seems to be pretty similar to python.

Really, there's a ton of overlap between the various
"high level" languages that parrot wants to support.
Maybe we could put together a generic code generator
that everyone could use? Obviously, it would have to
be set up so you could override the parts for each
language, but it shouldn't be too terribly hard.

What do you think? Want to try squishing pirate/python
and pirate/lua together? :)

Sincerely,

Michal J Wallace
Sabren Enterprises, Inc.