At 11:49 AM -0800 3/4/04, Robert Spier wrote:
> >I'd like to remove non-modified, non-parrot Perl modules from lib
>and install them via CPAN.pm.

 No. Sorry, definitely not.  Parrot's config isn't going to install
 perl modules off the 'net any more than it's going to run apt-get on
 systems that support it. We either provide it or do without.

Huh? Dan, what are you smoking?

Real Good Crack. And I'm going to keep on smoking it.

What we have right now is essentially a user distribution of Parrot. It's self-contained. It's a pain. It *should* be a pain--that pain is what keeps the dependency count down.

The rule, as it stands (and will continue to stand) is that anything that's needed to get a parrot build from distribution to installable executable ships with parrot. Period. Things that *aren't* needed don't have to be in the tarball, and its up to the source pumpking to decide if it's acceptable. Rebuilding the grammar source for IMCC requires lex and yacc. We don't ship 'em, you have to have them installed, that's fine. We don't *need* them to build parrot from a distribution or checkout.

I said way back when that the only thing anyone will need to build parrot from a release is a C compiler and *maybe* a make tool. (ICU may require us to open that up to a C++ compiler too) That's it, and it hasn't changed. Unless, of course, you'd rather we generally distribute binaries rather than source. That'd certainly make our lives a lot easier, but I'd really rather not go that route.
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk