At this point in the development cycle you can certainly make such
arguments (although I would tend to fall on the side of consistency
myself, at least for things that really Don't Matter in the grand scheme
of things, such as POD modules).

But once we start expecting people in the real world to compile this thing
on their boxes in order to install perl, it would be extremely foolish to
make them manually download and install perl6 + parrot + icu + perl5 +
cpan modules 1 through 10, all from different sources.

IMHO, the releases better include everything necessary to build the
application, within reason.  Consistency and simplicity counts for a lot.
Why create headaches we don't need?

The development environment can of course be more fluid.

--Josh