At 11:39 AM +0100 3/10/04, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
Proposal C<stat> opcode and interface

While we need to do this, what you've got here's far too platform-specific. From long, hard, unpleasant experience I can guarantee that starting with a Unix view of this is going to generate vast amounts of pain in the future. :(

Before we dig into the implementation maybe we better take a bit to work out the information we want. From memory, I can think of:

*) File size

  *) Permissions (read, write, execute, delete, enter (for dirs))
       and that's for owner, group, everyone, and root

*) Times (create, modify, access)

*) ACL information (All horribly platform and filesystem specific IIRC)

  *) Information (file, dir, softlink, hardlink, block dev, char dev,
                  socket, named pipe, semaphore)

*) user & group of file

*) File version (And not just for VMS -- my OS X manpages list this)

Some of this information will have to be synthesized on every platform, but with a few exceptions (times, mainly) it's all doable.

If there's anything else that needs adding to this list, well, we should do it now.

As you've probably noted I'd rather not re-implement and expose 35 years worth of "Whoops, that turned out to be a bad idea" crud.
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk