Dan Sugalski wrote:
Which, unfortunately, will end up making things a hassle, since there's no platform-independent way to spawn a sub-process, dammit. :(

Unixen seem to support system(). So does Windows. I suspect that most OSes we want to run on have something pretty equivalent, even if it doesn't have the exact same name. (Except for Palms, but Palms are always cross-compiled to. Although I *did* see one C compiler that ran on the Palm...)

I think that, in this particular area, it's okay to introduce a bit of platform dependence into Miniparrot via #ifdefs. It's a critically important function for Miniparrot to do its job, and if we're careful about what programs we call and what sort of I/O redirections we try to use, the portability concerns aren't too daunting.

Remember, the real thing won't be using 'perl -e', so quoting constructs may not even come into play.

The plan was always *three*-step:
    platform specific shell script -> miniparrot -> full parrot

The shell scripts (or batch files, or...) in the first steps can pass a couple extra -Ds to Miniparrot if they're really necessary.

--
Brent "Dax" Royal-Gordon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Perl and Parrot hacker

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.