At 3:23 PM +0000 3/22/04, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
At 11:12 AM -0800 3/10/04, Brent \"Dax\" Royal-Gordon wrote:
Dan Sugalski wrote:
Which, unfortunately, will end up making things a hassle, since
there's no platform-independent way to spawn a sub-process, dammit.
:(

Unixen seem to support system().

D'oh! It's C89 standard. I'm getting stuck in the 80s with the multitude of exec variants. Yeah, with that issue taken care of it's a lot more doable. Nevermind...

But: A. system() is blocking. B. system() takes single string so whatever calls system() has to be aware of the System's quoting rules.

A is no problem -- for this, blocking is fine.

B is more of a problem to be sure, but if we're really careful I think we'll be OK. Most of the uses of system for miniparrot are all simple spawns of the C compiler, so there shouldn't be any quoting going on.
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk