James Mastros <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dan Sugalski wrote:
>>
>> Yeah. We're ultimately going to have to add signals to memory allocation
>> and IO as things that the embedding environment controls.

> Is it just me, or does this sound awful similar to the existing list of
> platform-dependent code?  Does this suggest that we should be looking at
> having the platform functions pluggable at runtime?

Why? The configure system puts together the necessary platform pieces
and make generates finally a parrot executable for this very platform.
You can't transfer executables from one system to another and hope that
it will run (or yes you can copy them, but ...).

> just making them a full-blown ParrotSystem object out of them, though
> that may raise "interesting" circular problems.)

A ParrotSystem object OTOH isn't the worst thing. It could provide the
namespace for all possible system functions without the need for
numerous new opcodes.

>       -=- James Mastros

leo