At 8:46 AM +0200 7/1/04, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 Nope. Nor, if the freeze/thaw system is representation-neutral, as a
 plugin option for parrot itself. There are just some license issues (or
 I'm reading it wrong, which is an issue itself :) that make shipping GMP
 with parrot problematic.

Isn't it enough, whem we provide a link, where people can download GMP?

Not by my reading of the license, no.

And, what about making GMP a prerequisit (in the case that GMP is
selected at configure time)?

If they choose to use GMP at configure time, that's fine.

I think what's in our best interests is to ship as part of parrot a basic bignum library that does what we need (which is nicely limited) with the option to replace it with GMP if the person building parrot wants to do so. Then it's just a matter of making sure we keep frozen bignums cross-compatible and having a simple thunking layer to translate our API to GMP's so parrot's source doesn't need to care which is chosen.
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk