--- Paul Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> By the way, how big is enormous?  I had never
> expected the size of the
> HTML output to be a problem, but it obviously is to
> some people.

'Enormous' is obviously a subjective judgment, so let
me describe the coverage files I've got and how I
worked with them.  List::Compare currently consists of
4 .pm files.  The 'File Coverage' HTML files for them
total 328KB.  If I printed them out in a normal size,
I would get 57 pages.  Depending on the zoom ratio in
my browser, that would be equivalent to somewhere
between 85 and 114 screens deep.  When I utilize
Devel::Cover's 'cover report=text' option, I get all
the information contained in the 'File Coverage' HTML
files plus the Branch, Condition and Subroutine
Coverage files as well -- and that comes out to 312KB.
 Depending on whether I print that out in portrait or
landscape mode from a text editor such as Apple
TextEdit, that comes to 96 or 168 pages.

When working on a project like this, I like to do two
things:  (1) print out my reference data so I can mark
it up with the advanced technology known as ink, and
(2) display it on my screen in a GUI text-editor while
I revise the Perl code in a visually distinct program
(in this case, vi).  I don't to have to be constantly
scrolling up and down in the GUI program to spot the
uncovered code, nor do I want to have to leaf through
96 pages of hard copy.

Hence, I want to get that text file edited down to
display just what needs correction.  Doing this
manually or by a Perl script which parses the
plain-text coverage report, I got it down to 7 pages
of hard copy.  That's much more workable.  But it
would obviously be much more efficient to extract this
information from the cover_db database itself than
from a report generated from that database.

Should I find the time, I'll venture into
Devel::Cover's internals and see what I can do.  Thank
you very much.

jimk

=====
Affiliations:  Perl Seminar NY / New York Perlmongers / Toronto Perlmongers