On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:40:32 -0400, "Gay, Jerry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> Leopold Toetsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > BigNums grow on demand. It depends on value and precision.
> >

> can BigNum then start at sizeof(int)? overflow would auto-grow the BigNum
> the appropriate size, and most integer math operations will keep space
> usage
> as low as possible.
>
> in fact, then int is just a degenerate case of BigNum, one that doesn't
> grow
> and throws an exception instead. or, maybe that's the case already, i
> should
> probably read the docs.
>
> ~jerry

What is the most reasonable paradigm for scientific/high precision
applications?  It seems to me that this type of thing has been hashed
out before, and it should be designed in a way that makes it
attractive/sellable for scientists, engineers, etc.  One handicap that
Perl has (by reputation only) in the sciences is that it is not good for
precision math.  I know this is not true, and you all know this is not
true, but the community(ies) at large do not know - they are stuck in
the land of Fortran, and from my experience people are by-passing Perl
for things like Python when they do venture out.  Just out of curiosity,
is BigNum like a "double" (16 bit) or is it just limited by the
precision of the machine, i.e. 32 or 64 bit?

Thanks,
Brett
Perl6 ToDo:
http://www.parrotcode.org/todo