On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:10:59 -0400, Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 10:56 AM -0400 8/26/04, John Siracusa wrote:
> >Why make a stop in 32-bit land at all in that case?  If the system supports
> >64-bit ints, why not use them for everything right up until you promote to
> >BigNum?  Is it a memory bandwidth issue or something?
>
> If you've built parrot to use 64 bit ints, it will.

Hm, but does that also mean that it'll expect "all" ints to be 64 bit?  I'm
thinking of "hybrid" situations like Mac OS X on a G5, where the OS and all
system libs are still 32-bit, but the CPU can handle 64-bit integers.

> We still have to generally address the whole 64 bit integer question.
> I've been avoiding it, but I'm not sure that's ultimately feasable.

Obviously someone needs to buy you a G5 in order to adequately motivate
you... ;)

-John