At 3:32 PM -0500 9/18/04, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 03:41:37PM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
 At 11:36 AM -0500 9/18/04, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
 >I'm by no means an expert, but I'd say that the inner languages don't
 >need to have any idea of closure or of curly braces; those are Perl's
 >responsibility.

 Rather it's the rules parser's responsibility. Don't forget, more
 languages than just perl 6 are going to be using the new rules parser.

Sure, that's why I said you could s/Perl/the rules parser/ later in that message. But I've also been thinking of the rules parser as Perl's core; it's kind of like a universal bootstrapper that can get you to Perl (or any language of your choosing, but mostly Perl :-).

I think that'll ultimately not be what happens. Regardless of any initial intention, the rules engine will get used by everyone, unless it's difficult, in which case Parrot will end up with two embedded rules engines -- the perl 6 one, and PCRE2 for everyone else (including Perl 5, I'd bet, which'd be mildly embarrassing). I'd really, *really* like to avoid that. And I think we can, with a little bit of thought about it beforehand.
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk