On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 11:44:09AM +0200, James Mastros wrote:

> >Or is there some syntactic shortcut that can be made to let us find
> >the end of a closure without having to fully parse the closure itself?
> Well, we could do that for the time being, in which case, I suggest the
> end condition be a m:5/^}\s*/ line.

I'm going to go with a syntactic shortcut for the time being, albeit
something more complex than the suggestion above.  I don't want to force
people to make multi-line closures.  It will probably look for matching
braces, skipping over quoted strings and anything with a backslash in
front of it.  Yes, I know it's possible to construct cases where this
won't do the right thing -- I'm just trying to get something usable for
now.

In the long run I'm thinking we may just leave the syntactic shortcut
in place, for those compilers that don't (or can't?) provide all of the
"parse one closure, tell me how many characters you used" semantics
we'd need.  Maybe we'll have a rule option that says "don't use the
closure syntax shortcut, call the compiler directly", or have the rule
automatically decide what to do based on the properties of the
(inner) compiler.

Pm