--- David Golden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Where it becomes into a competition rather than a developer's tool
> is that the scores are added together into one "Kwalitee" score
> that assumes (or for which people assume):
<snip>

Frankly, I think it's human nature to compete.  Anytime someone puts up
something whereby strict criteria can be used to assign a "score" to
something (regardless of whether or not we agree with the chosen
criteria), folks are going to note how their doing in relation to
others.  It doesn't matter whether or not people like this.  If these
scores are going to be public, for some it will be a competition.

Myself, I was happy to see CPANTs and I "knew" I put out good quality
code, but in retrospect, I do see from the metrics that there are some
areas where I can improve.  I do wonder, though, why Acme:: files are
included in there.  The very nature of these modules frequently
guarantees that Kwalitee scores will be dragged down.  Taking a less
than random example:

  Acme::Code::Police

No one is *ever* going to use this as a prereq (if they do, they should
be first against the wall when the Acme::Code::FreedomFighter comes).
Further, I can't use strict in that module (doing so would kill a bit
of irony).  And POD coverage for a module that consists of one line of
code?

We should at least throw the poor module author's a bone and leave
Acme:: out of this.

Cheers,
Ovid

PS:  Someone should really write Acme::Code::Police::State.  It would
search for instances of Acme::Code::FreedomFighter and rename it to
Acme::Code::Terrorist.  Then recreate a new Acme::Code::FreedomFighter
and symlink it to Terrorist.pm :)

Turning the resulting State.pm into ASCII art of one's favorite hated
politician is optional.