On Monday 17 April 2006 18:09, Ovid wrote:

> Tracking the results in an object is a better choice than scraping from
> a print buffer.  One of the frustrating issues with Perl's testing
> tools is the limited flexibility we have due to reading the output from
> STDOUT.

... an object of which TAP-supporting language?
... from STDOUT on which computer?
... is it really STDOUT?
... can you actually run code on the remote machine?
... can you replay the object?
... can you serialize the object for later?
... can you provide a default language-independent object that supports all of
the TAP features you want to exercise with the implementation of a
programming language you've never seen before?
... or one that no one has written yet?

There are a lot of reasons why having separate testing and analysis processes
are very good and there are a lot of reasons why having file-based
communication is very, very good.

-- c