On 13/09/2007, Andy Dougherty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Paul Cochrane wrote:

> > > But did you actually address any of my objections?  For example, do you
> > > now pay attention to exit codes?  Do cc_build and cc_run now have exit
> > > codes?
> >
> > The short answer here is: no.  However attention to exit codes, and
> > exit codes from cc_build and cc_run are separate issues, aren't they?
>
> > A better thing to find out here is if parrot builds for you on your
> > platform.  Does the current revision work for you?  Then we can close
> > this ticket, and I'll open new tickets concerning exit codes from
> > cc_build and cc_run etc.
>
> I'm afraid I can't test it today (the system is unavailable) but I can
> tell by just looking that even if cc_build fails, this will ignore the
> failure and just keep churning along, so you won't get the "graceful 'no
> compiler' message".

The weird thing is that there *is* a graceful 'no compiler' message.
If cc_build fails then inter::progs exits with an appropriate error
message, and configuration stops at this point.  I've tested this on
Linux, Windows and Cygwin.  The only place this doesn't work is on
Solaris (for some reason C<exit 1;> just doesn't seem to want to exit
on this platform).  Also, the problem on Solaris turns up in
hints::solaris, and I can't see what is being done specially there
such that things don't barf when we ask them to...

> I guess I don't see the point of opening a new ticket to rehash the issues
> of the old, and I don't see the point of closing this ticket until it
> actually addresses the issues raised.

Agreed.  I'd like to get this issue solved as it is likely to help
other configuration steps which should also stop after an error has
occurred.

> (If cc_build and cc_run do get
> meaningful exit codes, inter::progs needs to be revisited anyway to
> actually use those codes.)  But I also don't really care enough to argue
> about it either.  Do whatever you think appropriate.

I apologise if this discussion is tiring.  I'm not trying to make this hard...

Paul