On Fri Sep 14 16:22:57 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have agreed (in another thread), that these should be unified. So,
> it's more a matter of TUITs than anything else.
>
> > But having a good design would also be useful.
>
> A good place to start is with a PDD-like summary of how it currently
> works, if anyone is looking for a Perl 5-ish task.

Somewhat apropos of this:

I've been discussing with Alan Rocker a research project in which we
would develop a table or spreadsheet that maps all the Configure.pl
command-line options to the configuration steps in which they are, can
be, cannot be, or should not be used.  We're doing this as part of
preliminary planning for development of a file-based approach to
configuration (http://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=44315).
But once we have this we may be in a better position to discuss reforms
to the command-line options approach to configuration.

kid51