On Tue Jan 17 16:55:35 2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> perl modules necessary for parrot configuration, development, and
> testing have been either committed to the parrot repo, assumed to be
> installed by the user, or (in some cases) checked for in code that
> uses them.
>
> this mish-mash is causing confusion for developers, testers, and end
> users of parrot. all of them are left asking the same question, "what
> external modules do i need to use parrot?"
>
> we should have a better answer than "run it and see."
>
> i think that better answer should be in the form of CPAN bundles. a
> development bundle (Bundle::Parrot::Devel), a test bundle (::Test),
> perhaps a seperate smoke bundle (::Smoke), and perhaps a bundle for
> end users (::Install.)
>
> installation of the necessary modules should be checked at configure
> time, and an informative message should be given to the user if there
> are missing dependencies.
>
> i'm sure i've left things out, so please fill in details where you
> deem appropriate. the sooner this task is specified and implemented,
> the easier it will be for others to use/develop/test parrot.
>
> ~jerry

Another thing to consider is we've upped our minimum perl version since this
ticket was
opened. Here's a quick summary of modules we should be able to rip right out
(based a naive
search of all .pm files in the lib/ dir:)

Class::Struct was first released with perl 5.004
Test::Builder was first released with perl 5.006002
Test::More was first released with perl 5.006002
Test::Simple was first released with perl 5.006002
Text::Balanced was first released with perl 5.007003