On Wed Feb 27 05:59:58 2008, coke wrote:

> I would recommend marking whatever version came with 5.8; If we
> require a module that came with 5.10, we've effectively upped our base
> perl requirement, and I don't think we're quite ready to jump to 5.10
> yet.
>
> Is the version that came with 5.8 sufficient for our needs?

The version that came with 5.8 -- more precisely, 5.8.0 -- was 0.15 --
much older than the 0.60 we included in lib/Test/ until yesterday.

The output of Test::Builder changed at 0.64_01, which falls in between
the 0.60 we had in the distro and the 0.72 which most (but not all) of
our developers are likely to be using now.

AFAICT, the only *real* problem is that 6 tests in t/lib/Parrot_Test.t
were expecting very specific formatting of output messages in the case a
test failed.  Those tests were premised on the wording of the error
messages in 0.60.

Two possible solutions:  Either eliminate those 6 tests entirely, or
rewrite the tests to make the regexes which need to be matched tolerant
of the differences between Test::Builder 0.60 and 0.72 in this regard.

Recommendations?

kid51