On Sun, 2 Mar 2008, James Keenan via RT wrote:

> On Sun Mar 02 17:00:59 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> do a checkout of the 'tcif' branch and call 'perl Configure.pl
> --test=configure' with whatever command-line options you customarily use
> in building Parrot in trunk, you will get a good indication of the
> objectives and whether they're being met.

Alas, it made no difference.  It still failed, starting with the same
error message:

    t/steps/inter_progs-01.........................Can't call method "data" on
an undefined value at (eval 20) line 7.
    # Looks like you planned 11 tests but only ran 2.
    # Looks like your test died just after 2.
     Dubious, test returned 255 (wstat 65280, 0xff00)
     Failed 9/11 subtests

If you wish to continue along these lines, that's fine, but I am
not interested in pursuing this further.  Debugging this second
shadow Configure process that imperfectly mirrors the main Configure
process has been a poor use of my time.  In my opinion, there's
already a perfectly serviceable database of Configuration answers in
lib/Parrot/Config/Generated.pm.  I know that it's not "pure" and can't
be used without first running an untested Configure.pl.  But that's ok--
it would at least have worked, without having to spend months revisiting
this same issue over and over.

I know the parrot community values testing, but as I wrote originally

    To be blunt, I am more interested at the moment in whether it's
    trying to do something sensible than whether or not its actual current
    behavior is being tested. Testing the existing behavior assumes that
    the existing behavior is what the program should actually be doing.

I'm afraid I have nothing further useful to add.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]