James E Keenan wrote:

1. Why is grapheme normalization form abbreviated as NFG rather than GNF?

The Unicode normalization forms are NFC, NFD, NFKC, and NFKD, so this fits with the standard naming scheme.

2. If a character set is "officially a deprecated term" (by whom?), won't our use of it cause problems down the road -- even if we currently find it advantageous to use it "to mean the standard which defines both a repertoire and a code"?

Technically it's deprecated(-ish) by the Unicode Consortium, but it's a commonly used term. Even the Unicode Standard talks about "character set conversions".

3.  "A grapheme is our concept."  Who is the we in "our"?

I clarified the definition here. Parrot has been using the concept of graphemes for years, but the term started in linguistics.

Allison