On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 5:44 AM, Jonathan Worthington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Klaas-Jan Stol wrote:
>>
>> I think basically the question remans; is there any way we could do
>> without the :unique_reg?
>>
> Yes:
>
> 1) Add the reference-taking op and register reference PMC to the Parrot
> core.
>
> 2) Make IMCC specially aware of this op so that it never re-uses this
> register.

also, if i understand satisfy patrick's use case in pge,

3) add the ability to select the register allocator used, or disable
it, within a sub.

a programmer who knows what he's doing should have the ability to
disable the register allocator and manage registers himself. the scope
of the action must be limited to make the intent clear and to ease
maintenance programming; it must occur at the sub level rather than at
the file level.

~jerry