  JH> Multithreaded programming is hard and for a given program the only
  JH> person truly knowing how to keep the data consistent and threads not
  JH> strangling each other is the programmer.  Perl shouldn't try to be too
  JH> helpful and get in the way.  Just give user the bare minimum, the
  JH> basic synchronization primitives, and plenty of advice.

my views exactly. most perl programs will not be multithreaded. we can
support them with locks, a thread per interpreter paradigm and support
other stuff like event and signal delivery and such. but no implied
locks. the coder has to do some work and take responsibility.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting