At 05:15 PM 6/13/2001 +0200, Bart Lateur wrote:
>On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 01:22:32 +0100, Simon Cozens wrote:
>
> > Something that should be part of the core? I'll leave
> >that for you to decide.
>
>Most definitely NOT.

Most definitely sort of.

>There is no reason to put fucntionality for free matching of Japanese
>characters into the basic perl executable.

No, you're right. But the core must take into account the capabilities that
need to be available for comparison and matching of the languages perl's
going to make at least some effort to support.

That doesn't mean, for example, that perl will have a full Japanese
dictionary built into it so the regex engine can match kanji characters
against an equivalent hiragana, nor that it'll have a good-sized Chinese
dictionary so that \b can really find the boundaries between words.

>There were already voices
>here, on how to strip Unicode support completely from the perl core,
>because these people don't feel like they need it. so this is most
>definitely going to far.

That's Larry's call. I disagree on its lack of necessity. I also think
you're placing far too heavy an emphasis on one particular encoding and locale.

If things work out well, even ASCII will be optional.